Please remove holiday wreaths
and decor in preparation for
the cemetery’s spring cleaning.
Any holiday items that remain
after APRIL 1st will be removed.
Norwell Cemetery Committee
This cemetery on Main Street at the corner of Old Meetinghouse Lane was established in 1644. The meeting house of the Second Parish Church was located nearby from 1645 to 1680. In the early 1800s, the graveyard was heavily vandalized--removing all traces of the stones that might have been there. Years later two stones were found. One belonged to Thomas King who died in 1691. The other was that of Cornelius Briggs, who died in 1694. The Torrey, Hatch and Robinson families were among the notable families buried there. No sign of this graveyard remains today except for a boulder on the edge of Main Street commemorating the site of the Second Church in 1642.