— NICHES NOW AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE

Columbarium side 01

Contact:   Laura Napa
Norwell Cemetery Department
Email: LNapa@townofnorwell.net 
Phone: 339-613-7198

Norwell, Massachuestts:  The Norwell Cemetery Committee is proud to announce the completed construction of a new 32-niche columbarium at the Washington Street Cemetery in Norwell. 

“The Cemetery Committee is pleased to offer another option for residents who wish to have Washington Street Cemetery be their final resting place,” said Denise Nestor, Norwell Cemetery Liaison.  Nestor noted “Columbariums are a cost-effective, attractive, and permanent means of memorializing a cremated loved one.”

The columbarium was installed by Cemetery personnel and the Norwell Tree & Grounds Department, and benches have been installed around the columbarium area to provide a tranquil space for reflection.  In the spring, landscaping will be completed with new grass and plantings.

The Norwell Cemetery Committee is committed to providing a serene, attractive, and contemplative setting for the families of the deceased at all Norwell cemeteries.  They are dedicated to overseeing the process of compassionate, timely, and high-quality burial arrangements that respect the wishes and beliefs of the deceased and their families.

Please contact Denise Nestor at the Cemetery Department for niche pricing options and availability. 

###


Norwell Town Seal CemeteryPlease remove holiday wreaths

and decor in preparation for
the cemetery’s spring cleaning.
Any holiday items that remain
after APRIL 1st will be removed.

Thank you,
Norwell Cemetery Committee

In 1892, the Town of Norwell purchased 19 acres of land on Washington Street for a cemetery from the Jacobs family. Upon completion of the layout for the front part of the cemetery land, burials started in 1893. At that time lots cost $10 and $12.

Originally, both residents and non-residents could purchase lots but when space became limited, ownership was restricted to Norwell residents only. A soldier’s monument was placed at the entrance to the cemetery and was dedicated on May 24, 1914.

When the Southeast Expressway was built in the 1950s, the cemetery lost acreage. In fact, several acres are located on the other side of the highway today. Thankfully in 1980 the Town was able to purchase three more acres and expand slightly.